Agencies are at the forefront of the creative working world and as a designer, you can expect most of the job prospects to come from them. Whether you're a Graphic designer working for the agency and their particular House Style, or an Illustrator being represented by them, agencies can provide a lucrative career.
There are many agencies world wide, all with their own style and differing sizes (in terms of the clients they cater for and the amount and acclaim of the artists they employ).
Some examples of Agencies.
- Pearlfisher - This agency deals with some of the biggest brands in the UK. They have studios in both London and New York. While agencies like this can offer a very attractive wage, you are not given a lot of creative freedom.
- Big Active - This agency represents Illustrators who have their own style. These artists have a lot more freedom when working, allowing them full creative input.
- Dirty Hands Co - This agency has connections in Illustration, branding and fashion. While they're not as rigid as companies like Pearlfisher in terms of creative freedom, they do have a particular style that their artists must adhere too.
Being in the first year of my degree, thinking about which of these agencies I might want to be employed/represented by is some what daunting. Right now all I'm worried about are deadlines and hand ins, but it will be interesting to look back at this blog in three years time and see whether I feel the same way.
How do I want to be represented?
Ideally, I would prefer to be affiliated with an agency that allows more creative freedom as I am more comfortable doing my own thing, but on the other hand I would also like some guidance and direction, especially in the early days of my career.
Working for a Agency with a 'House Style' seems to be the best place to start. While I would be working to the agencies particular style preferences, I would have more input into the creative process that I would working for the much larger Pearlfisher.
How do I want to perceived on the Market?
Everyone wants to be known as skilful in what they do, so it goes without saying that's how I want to be perceived as also. I'd like to be recognized for my own style, even when I am producing work and adhering to a particular house style. For people to be able to single out my work, within a range of that 'House Style'.
As for what exactly I will be doing? I currently have NO idea.
How do I want to win commissions?
Displaying my work online, entering competitions and sending my portfolio of work out to Illustrative agencies. Establishing myself as a capable artist who can produce work which will hopefully lead to more opportunities and word of mouth recommendations.
No comments:
Post a Comment